This Bodes Well

2 Aug

Just got a call from the Obama campaign. The fundraiser mispronounced my last name twice after being corrected and spent an entire minute on her pitch until she asked for $400.

Maybe I’m misremembering, but I’m pretty sure this isn’t the way they were able to do record fundraising last election.

8 Responses to “This Bodes Well”

1. Fenwick 08.02.2011 at 22:27 #

And you tolerated it?

2. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© 08.03.2011 at 08:34 #

I’d tell them to go ask the people they care about for money: Republicans and bankers.

3. B^4 08.03.2011 at 14:04 #

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how the Democratic party has largely failed liberals, and thinking about better ways to spend that money, such as putting in place organizations such as “mutual aid societies” to perform tasks the government could perform if it hadn’t been so fucked up by 30-odd years of Reaganomics. I’m grasping at straws here, but I’m envisioning something like the Freelancers’ Union. Obama told us that we had to “Be the change you’re looking for.” Maybe this means spending our time and money to create new institutions (while still getting out and voting), seeing that the old ones we’ve supported have ignored us. Shit, I really should post on this, but I’m pretty much making it up as I go.

4. B^4 08.03.2011 at 14:05 #

Uh, sorry for such a TL,DR comment.

5. Whale Chowder 08.03.2011 at 16:02 #

Your money feedback is important to us Ms. Mxyzptlyck!

6. Whale Chowder 08.03.2011 at 16:03 #

I’ve actually told the state Dem fundraisers that they’ll get my money when I’m convinced they’re representing my interests.

7. Larkspur 08.05.2011 at 22:58 #

Okay, wait. So, like, they said “Kitty” but messed up the following ǃ¡ or ǂ͡q, or whatever the heck the pronunciation of Kitty! is? That is indeed opprobrious, also annoying, and they should totally give you a coupon entitling you and a dear internet friend to dine for free at the non-chainiac dining establishment of your choice.

I’m hungry.

8. truculentandunreliable 08.06.2011 at 16:01 #

B^4–Nah, not TL;DR. I totally agree. Part of the problem with this economy and with this culture is that we’re either working so fucking hard or are being so distracted that the idea of trying to create our own change is daunting. I actually feel rather…guilty?…for not working on it.

Larkspur–Yes! And still mis-pronounced it after I corrected her *twice*! I have a weird last name and I’m not offended when people mis-pronounce it unless they don’t pay attention and continue to mis-pronounce it after they’ve been corrected. And they’re asking me for money.

So, yeah, that’s the thing, guys. Why would I want to donate to them? Especially considering the fact that I’m actually *worse* off economically than I was three years ago?

Calling me and asking for $400 is, like, the EXACT OPPOSITE of what they did last campaign. And if they looked at my donation history (which I know they have), they’d see that I was one of those small donors that gave $50 or so at a time late in the election and that I certainly didn’t do it 8 times. (Which is part of the reason why I volunteered–I’m not sure I’ll do that this time around).