Look at This Fucking Hipster

18 Jul

version of Justin Bieber.

If you haven’t been paying attention to Shit T&U HAAAAAAATES, that’s the dude from Owl City. Or who is Owl City. Or is the face of Owl City with a bunch of marketing dudes and producers behind him.

Anyway, here his is in a eight-year-old’s bedroom:

Man, that’s a sweet setup. I didn’t know you could get keyboards equipped with autotune. And that fireflies could hug.

Now check this out, from when Owl City was still wearing Baby Jesus Underoos:

Yeah. Look, I’m not all “OMG THEY RIPPED OFF GENIUS.” It took me a long time to warm up to The Postal Service because the artificiality and sweetness of their music didn’t appeal to me. It isn’t anyone’s main gig, UPS and M&M’s have used that song, and Ben Gibbard is banging Zoe Deschanel, so they’re doing fine for themselves.

The thing is that the cloying sterility is part of The Postal Service’s sound. It’s deliberate, and it’s deliberately crafted. Give Up was produced by people recording on tapes and sending those tapes to each other in the mail. Its sound and very existence are, I think, interesting commentaries on music, culture, and technology.

So when a little shit who wants to “bring glory to Jesus Christ” blatantly rips them off, I get a little pissed. I’m sure this is also related to the way that indie rock culture has started to become a marketing tool, and the fact that I’m getting old enough that the stuff of my childhood is being considered kitschy cool by younger people because it’s “retro” (or even “vintage” *shudder*).

I know I’m not special. This is the Circle of Pop Culture. First they came for the blues singers, etc etc etc…still, can I punch him in his tiny, pearly teeth?

8 Responses to “Look at This Fucking Hipster”

1. vacuumslayer 07.18.2011 at 13:19 #

Is he really a Jesus person? Because that stuff is a huge turn-off to me.

The song is innocuous enough. I mean, it’s a little cute and sweet for me. Or at least it’s the kind of cute and sweet I don’t like. (Because I actually tend to like cute and sweet.)

BTW, put “hipster” in a post title and I’m like a moth to a flame. I just have to come and gawk. 😀

2. B^4 07.18.2011 at 14:34 #

More like bringing glory to Tweesus.

3. “Hipster fledgling cardinal pic!”

4. Mandos 07.18.2011 at 19:20 #

Heh. I remember having this conversation with Pinko Punko not too long ago. Short end of the story: I love the song and that kind of sound. And not because it’s some kind of artistic commentary: I love it non-ironically, and for itself. I have little use for some sort of “authenticity” in my music—I like every note precise and calculated, with a lot of rich and complex harmony on top. It’s what music *should* have evolved to from classical music; instead, somehow, there was this later 20th century in which people decided that “grating” sounded good.

As for ripping off someone else’s sound, I can’t understand why that’s a problem. Everyone is ripping off Bach.

5. Substance McGravitas 07.19.2011 at 19:01 #

‘Cause I’d get a thousand hugs
    From ten thousand lightning bugs
    As they tried to teach me how to dance

I dunno. Seems like he’s trying to seduce eight-year-olds. And that, friends, is WRONG.

6. truculentandunreliable 07.19.2011 at 22:23 #

VS–Completely Jesus-y. He’s done interviews with Christianity Today and stuff.

Mandos, too much authenticity can be kinda gross, but I don’t know about the whole “grating” part. I guess it depends on what you mean by the term “grating”. I also tend to gravitate toward more melodic music; while I like some punk and hardcore-inspired/post-hardcore stuff, it tends to be more….listenable, I guess.

The funny thing is that one of the reasons I don’t like much Death Cab is that Gibbard’s lyrics were waaaaay too earnest and emo-y for too long (this is coming from someone whose nym is a Morrissey reference!), but the same type of lyrics with the calculated sound worked much better for me.

Substance, he’s all about the 13-year-olds, actually. Although he stated that he can’t understand why they’d like his music because he’s so “random.” I don’t even know what that means.

I just HATE. THE. TWEE. This kid’s like Pimplemoose with a synth and a shitload of autotune. And less talent.

I don’t expect everybody to feel the same about it as I do, especially since I get OCD-level cases of earwormitis (srsly, this one was three fucking days), but it sets my fucking teeth on edge. And, yeah, ripping off isn’t new, but did he have to be so ridiculously blatant? And THEN pretend that he’d never even heard of The Postal Service?

Why is he standing in front of my grandmother’s wallpaper in that pic, btw?

7. tsam 07.20.2011 at 16:16 #

I LIKE that song and now you ruindeded it for me.

I’m going to huff and stomp away now.

Good DAY.

8. proud_hootowl4ever! 02.18.2013 at 20:24 #

You know what, this has just left me speechless. There are no words to describe how much I hate this post. Owl City is an amazing person and you have no reason to hate on him.