Never Sleep. Remember to Breathe Deep

23 May

Yeah, I know, Mountain Goats blah blah blah but this is currently my favorite song.  Holy fuck, it’s good.

Also, I’d like to warn my beloved bloggy friends that if I see any comments about red staters being dumb and voting against their interests with regards to this, there will be murders.  My mother’s co-worker lost her husband a couple of weeks ago in a tornado that touched down near her home in Tennessee.  My hometown was hit by a tornado about 11 years ago, and a lot of people lost their homes and businesses. I grew up about 60 miles west of Joplin and I’ve been there a countless number of times (they’re about 4 times bigger and they had a mall!).

Yes, there are plenty of people concentrated in red states who vote against their own interests and believe really horrible things, but there are also plenty of people who don’t, and who fight against hate and retrofuck attitudes. I’m sure that quite a few victims of this latest tornado believe(d) in anthropogenic global warming. I know (believe me, I KNOW) that it’s fucking frustrating as HELL to see a small minority fuck shit up, but USAians in general are a small minority who have benefited most from fossil fuels and will probably suffer the fewest consequences.

/lecture mode

On the upside, my mother tells me that she’s heard several people who would normally be all “ALGORE is FAT” have made comments about how this weather isn’t normal and maybe there’s something to this whole global warming thing. Maybe the weather these past 6-7 months will change people’s minds before it’s too late.

11 Responses to “Never Sleep. Remember to Breathe Deep”

1. vacuumslayer 05.23.2011 at 09:15 #

I’m really glad you wrote this entry. I woke up to the awful news about Joplin and was hoping you’d let us know you’re ok.

2. Scoregasm 05.23.2011 at 09:42 #

I like to remind people that choose to forget that there is a strong contingent of “normal” folk in even the reddest of red states: even if some dumbfuck resolution (like mandatory baptisms for miscarried fetuses or some shit) managed to go to a vote and pass by 60% (a goddamn overwhelming majority for a public vote), that still means that forty-fucking-percent of us chose to vote against that lunacy. It’s not like we’re all driving our hoverrounds to the polls in lockstep, singing hymns and shooting AK47s in the air.

It’s unfortunate that the timing of this coincided with the rapture hysteria. For as many people as I’ve noticed (FINALLY) coming around to the “Gee, I wonder if maybe the fleet of SUVs clogging up every street and that plant that spews godonlyknows what sort of pollutant vomit into the air might be causing some sort of environmental consequences?” , I’ve also seen a huge uptick in the “CAN WE NOT BE ASSURED THAT THE TIME OF OUR LORD’S VENGEANCE IS AT HAND?!??” stuff.

3. Larkspur 05.23.2011 at 11:30 #

I live in a blue area, in a locale that is even bluer than its immediate environs, and we still have no shortage of oblivious nimrods. I’ve never had any reason to think that nimrodian distribution is much different elsewhere. We’re all just folks. I know there are regional differences, in terms of church attendance, cuisine, customs, etc., but there is no lone demographic trait that can be labeled “asshole-ishness” and applied to any region. Assholery is free-ranging.

I’m sorry to hear about your mom’s co-worker’s husband. All of this tornado and flooding stuff is not only deadly and costly, it’s permanently terrifying to the survivors.

4. B^4 05.23.2011 at 14:38 #

The fact that we’ve had two “lost” decades regarding AGW, and four decades of stupid energy policy makes me want to break shit.

5. bbkf 05.23.2011 at 14:39 #

hey…glad u r okay…and thanks for this tune…i’ve never heard them before, but i like!

6. Substance McGravitas 05.23.2011 at 15:08 #

I vote no.

7. Kristjan Wager 05.23.2011 at 15:43 #

Sorry to hear about you mother’s coworker’s husband

I remember how the damage from the tornado was still visible in your hometown when I visited, months after the tornado had hit it. Made a big impression on me.

8. Oregon Beer Snob 05.23.2011 at 18:25 #

Although I live in the safest town in the entire country, I have been through some serious thunderstorms while traveling at various times in the midwest — Kansas and the Dakotas specifically. Those were scary enough, I can’t even imagine what dealing with tornadoes would be like. Here’s to hoping the extreme weather season ends soon.

9. Another Kiwi 05.23.2011 at 23:38 #

Something on this scale just underlines the common humanity we all have. While I would have big disagreements with some of those folks, this makes the disagreements seem irrelevant. The death toll seems to be about the size of Christchurch, poor sods.

10. truculentandunreliable 05.24.2011 at 12:56 #

Scoregasm–Well, god forbid we actually take responsibility for our actions. It’s much easier to keep fucking things up and pretend that Jesus is coming back.

B^4–If humanity makes it through this shit (and is able to keep some sort of recorded history), we are NOT going to be looked upon with much fondness at all.

Kristjan–I don’t think it ever really recovered, although I’m sure that meth and the Bush years didn’t help. It was shitty and no fun when I lived there, but it’s a fucking shithole at this point. I don’t know why my cousins are raising their kids there.

AK–They’re still looking. The Home Depot was hit hard and they’re searching it today. I’m not sure how many deaths there will be in the end, but for a town of 50,000, it’s a HUGE blow.

11. J Neo Marvin 05.28.2011 at 04:09 #

Also, John D lived in Ames, Iowa for years and currently lives in Durham, NC.