A Sorry-Ass Excuse for a Man

10 Apr

Today I was witness to a lovely display of public abuse by some douchebag who thought it was totes acceptable to yell at his wife in line at the store because he called her cell phone “three fucking times and you never answered it, but here you come around the corner with the fucking thing in your hand. Sorry-ass fucking excuse for a wife.”

Yeah. So, she looked absolutely humiliated, of course, because the only thing worse than someone treating you like that is someone treating you like that in public and thinking that everyone is judging you for “putting up with” that kind of shit.  They had three young children with them, and the oldest was a girl who looked to be about 10 or 11 and was already dead-eyed.  I hate to think about what happens in private.

I wanted to say or do something that would at least show the children that other adults aren’t okay with this behavior, and that it’s not something he should be able to get away with, but I also didn’t want to put myself at risk or give him a reason to abuse his family later.  (I absolutely believe he was the kind of asshole who would blame his wife for “making him” abuse her in public and “getting him” into trouble).

In a way, I almost feel like I have a debt to make up for not acting, though.

8 Responses to “A Sorry-Ass Excuse for a Man”

1. tzopilotl 04.10.2011 at 13:43 #

…invite him outside and kick his ass, saying its an insult for you to hear a man abuse his family, since he went public with it so will you.

2. M. Bouffant 04.10.2011 at 13:49 #

This is absolutely true; don’t rake yourself over the proverbial coals, there’s really little you could have done.

3. vacuumslayer 04.10.2011 at 13:59 #

Oh gosh. That’s awful. But I’m not sure there is anything you could have done. Ugh. I feel for you…and, of course, the woman and her children.

4. nedbeaumontjr 04.10.2011 at 14:12 #

In my experience, anything you would have done would have increased his anger. If he was physically abusing her or the kids in public, it might be worthwhile. But who really knows what’s the best way to deal with this kind of asshole when he’s a stranger?

5. truculentandunreliable 04.10.2011 at 14:32 #

I know. And, not to be overdramatic or anything, but it’s also possible he was a meth head. I mean, he didn’t look like one and it didn’t seem like he was tweaking, but I didn’t look at him very hard. And this is Missouri.

6. Another Kiwi 04.10.2011 at 15:49 #

We shop at the poor peoples super market and see lesser examples of this sort of incident nearly every week. It is the thought of the kids that gets me, what chance do they have?
    I’d like to think that we were getting to be better men but,you know, you have to look quite hard to see it.

7. tzopilotl 04.11.2011 at 14:22 #

…well, if you don’t want the physical remedy,
    which is the better part of valor after all,
    then threaten him with the law, i.e., making
    a public scandal is usually on the books every-
    where, denounce him as a breaker of the peace
    and a bad example to everyone’s children including
    his own.

8. B^4 04.11.2011 at 17:29 #

Horrible story. Intervention would probably have resulted in the shithead taking out his anger on his family- there’s nothing you really could have done.