History is Made to Seem Unfair

24 Mar

Maine has joined other states in happily skipping down the road to fascism by erasing the role that labor activism has played in the state’s history.

Apparently a mural depicting the history of labor in the, um, DEPARTMENT OF LABOR is offensive; the governor claims that he received many complaints, including a letter from someone who said that the mural made him feel like he was in communist North Korea.

Yup. Looks like something I’d see in North Korea. Not that I have any idea what anything in North Korea actually looks like…

You know what makes me “uncomfortable”? The fact that a few assholes with loud voices and deep pockets can re-write the history of the people of this nation–OUR history.

The 100th anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire is tomorrow. It wouldn’t surprise me if conservatives accused the victims of starting the fire themselves to bring about a communist revolution.

They won’t stop until this country is re-made into the image they want.

12 Responses to “History is Made to Seem Unfair”

1. Adorable Girlfriend 03.24.2011 at 18:38 #

I have family who lives and is from Korea. Yeah, they’d agree. Especially the lobster roles you can get in Bangor while looking at the mural!

2. M. Bouffant 03.24.2011 at 18:40 #

Just saw that on the telebision (rather than NPR, as I am not a latte-sippin’ elitist).

What it looks like in NORK.

3. zombie rotten mcdonald 03.24.2011 at 19:29 #

They won’t stop until this country is re-made into the image they want.

Actually, I’d like to see progressives re-adopt this as an anthem.

4. zombie rotten mcdonald 03.24.2011 at 19:29 #

Of course, I will need Rush and the Mekons to write the songs.

5. zombie rotten mcdonald 03.24.2011 at 19:40 #

Also, thanks for the title ref.

That is, if it was meant to be a zombie thing. If not, you’re on the list.

6. vacuumslayer 03.25.2011 at 06:34 #

Unbelievable. No, wait. Unfortunately its totally believable. Reminds me of the Texas school board trying to change textbooks to make it seem like McCarthy wasn’t such a bad guy after all and other stuff.

Historical fact is often INCONVENIENT!

7. vacuumslayer 03.25.2011 at 06:35 #

Soooo, is the instructional fisting mural still on?

8. truculentandunreliable 03.25.2011 at 07:15 #

That is, if it was meant to be a zombie thing. If not, you’re on the list.

It wasn’t a shout out, per se, but I thought of you when I posted it.

Still friendsies?

9. truculentandunreliable 03.25.2011 at 07:16 #

VS, I am no artist, but I would pay to be involved in the creation of that type of thing.

10. B^4 03.25.2011 at 13:37 #

It’s strange that the wingnuts would invoke North Korea in the course of their own “Cultural Revolution”.

Feckin’ “re-writing history”, how does it work?

11. zombie rotten mcdonald 03.25.2011 at 15:05 #

if Substance is involved, I want no part of that project.