“Pro-Lifers” Don’t Give a Fuck About People

9 Mar

This is one of the most heartbreaking things I’ve read in quite a while.

What happened to this family is fucking VILE. Nobody should have to experience that. I can’t even imagine what that woman went through, having to carry what was essentially a dead baby to term while strangers asked when she was due and what sex the baby was.

Forced birthers have no compassion. If they did, they would accept that fucking is part of being human and that accidents happen. If they did, they would understand that sometimes women must make difficult choices to take care of themselves and their families. If they did, they would stop harassing clinic workers and doctors for doing their jobs, and patients for undergoing medical procedures that can be painful and difficult.

If they did, they would spare this family any more suffering than it has endured, and they would let this baby die quickly and without pain instead of spending the first and last 15 minutes of her life struggling to breathe.

9 Responses to ““Pro-Lifers” Don’t Give a Fuck About People”

1. ifthethunderdontgetya 03.09.2011 at 12:36 #

You’re *dead* right.

Pro-lifers are really all about slut-shaming women for having sex.

They don’t give a shit about people.

2. zombie rotten mcdonald 03.09.2011 at 13:56 #

“Pro-Lifers” Don’t Give a Fuck About People”

No. No, they don’t.

Neither do Republicans.

Thundra, they are also about reinforcing patriarchal and authoritarian norms. It’s a TWOFER!!

3. bbkf 03.09.2011 at 14:42 #

o.m.g. i read the comments…truly frightening…the glibness, the factual errors, the holier than thou attitudes of the forced birthers is fucking appalling. you know my situation, and what pisses me off so bad is that none of them take into account the heartbreak of having a disabled child…pure evil is the correct category for this one…

4. B^4 03.09.2011 at 15:32 #

That is harrowing- these people really are evil, heartless monsters.

I haven’t read the comments yet, but I’m already livid!

5. truculentandunreliable 03.09.2011 at 15:33 #

bbkf–Never. Read. The. Comments.

6. Spengler 03.09.2011 at 20:48 #

I couldn’t make it through the article, let alone the comments. Fuck it. I hope America goes exactly where these maniacs want to take it. We deserve no better.

You kids got you passports? I have friends on every continent.

7. truculentandunreliable 03.09.2011 at 21:00 #

Spengler, I do indeed. (I almost got one right before the 2004 elections because I’m paranoid like that). A Danish friend I haven’t talked to in a while contacted me today…I decided it would be unseemly to propose.

8. Fenwick 03.10.2011 at 06:45 #

I didn’t read the linked story; I learned everything I needed to know in the last sentence of your post. Deliberate cruelty–especially if inflicted in the guise of piety–enrages me. For my own mental health, it is best if I don’t seek it out; there is so much in the world.

IMO, ‘forced-birther’ is an excellent counterattack label; it is time to strip away the oh-so-virtuous ‘pro-life’ label and call them out for what they are. I hope Forced-Birth percolates throughout the Reproductive Choice community and supporters. The shorthand strips away the pious camoflage for such viciousness out, and frames the conflict in reality-based terms. You’ve written about using that term; I hope you continue to advocate for it on the women’s rights blogs you follow. (FWIW, I’ve adopted it.)

On the dialog about changing nationality: I’ve already left the United States. My allegiance has evaporated in the last 30 years; the nation I took an oath to defend no longer exists. I am too old, too poor, and too poorly-skilled to apply for citizenship in a sane, humane, and just country, so I must live in exile in this one.

[If it helps other people in a similar situation, the Duchy of Grand Fenwick welcomes immigrants and new citizens with open arms. Also rolls out the red carpet for tourists! (Blog WILL eventually arrive; I’m committed to doing it.)]

9. bbkf 03.11.2011 at 15:16 #

You kids got you passports? I have friends on every continent.

when are we leaving?!